Like most motor sports, ANDRA has permitted limited passenger rides in controlled conditions for many years, mainly for the purposes of promotional activities.
In a strategy to deliver additional safe, controlled options to dangerous practices on public roads, and to widen the already exciting off-street experience, ANDRA has worked with the Australian Drag Racing Promoters Association to introduce single passengers in some cars at off-street events.
Single passengers will be permitted in cars racing in paired runs at designated off-street events, where;
- Ambulance and fire crews must be present.
- The passenger must be afforded the same measure of protection afforded the driver under the ANDRA regulations relevant to the vehicle.
- The driver must be familiar and experienced in the vehicle and hold the appropriate ANDRA credentials and the passenger must hold an ANDRA Divisional Day Licence as a minimum.
- Solo passes only are permitted, in closed sessions covered by ANDRA Permit, or during racing events prior to the completion of qualifying.
- Prior to the activity, passengers should be briefed on safety and procedural aspects by the organizer, and be required to complete the ANDRA Acknowledgement of Risk Statement.
- Regardless of ANDRA Extended Scrutineering Programme provisions, the vehicle must be scrutinized, and specific checks made on safety measures with the passenger in place, by an approved official.
- Sedan type vehicles with elapsed times slower than 10.99 seconds (1/4 mile) / 7.0 seconds (1/8 mile) are permitted to carry passengers 18 or more years of age.
- Sedan type vehicles with elapsed times between 10.99 and 7.50 seconds (1/4 mile or equivalent) may not exceed 180mph (290kph) and may carry passengers 18 years or older.
- Rear engine dragster type vehicles with passenger location in tandem with the driver must be approved by ANDRA and will be limited to 7.50 seconds (1/4 mile)/4.90 seconds (1/8 mile), and a maximum speed of 180mph (290kph). A minimum passenger age of 18 years will also apply.
- In all cases the physical stature of the passenger must be compatible with seating /harness provisions. Medical advice / permission should be sought for passengers over 75 years of age, or any passenger where health may be an issue. Consent of the parent/guardian is required for passengers under 18 years of age.
- Where the passenger activity is a prize for a raffle competition, winners should be advised before any public announcement is made and should be given the opportunity to decline.
- ANDRA Member Tracks conducting passenger activities will be required to maintain a register of all rides.
- Where the activity is to be conducted on a commercial basis an annual Licencing Fee will be payable to ANDRA.